Route 66 Forum  

The place to discuss anything Route 66 related. Ask questions, make recommendations or simply chew the fat! New members might like to introduce themselves in the pinned thread. By registering for the forum you are also able to comment on or review any of the listings in the Trip Planner.
- - -
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Route 66 Los Angeles to Hot August Nights 2013
January 30, 2013
9:25 pm
57chevman
Members
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello Everyone;

This is my first post and I'm so glad to have found this forum. I will give you a little background. I have owned my 1957 chevy belair 2 door hardtop since 1992. I have completely redone it from top to bottom. It has a modified 350 small block with approx.450 horsepower. Turbo 350 with 3000 stall convertor. Ford 9 inch with 4:ll gear ratio. 2 1/2 inch flowmasters. It is painted red with white roof with classic cragar ss wheels. In preparation for the trip I am changing the rear end ration to 3:55. replacing the convertor with a 2200 stall. I have also downsized the carberator from a 750 double pumper to a 670 street avenger. In 1992 after finishing the car me and my brother drove from our home in Vancouver,BC,Canada all the way to Reno for Hot August Nights. As a car guy this was definitely one of the highlights of my life. Since that trip my brothers and I have always talked of our ultimate dream trip. Driving route 66. Now on the 20th anniversary of  that Reno trip we are finally going to do it  Here is our plan. We will drive from vancouver to los angeles. Then start the route 66 from Santa Monica following the route to all the way to the first town in Arizona then up through Las Vegas to our final destination. Reno for Hot August Nights 2013.

Any help from the goup with the planning of this trip would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

57 Chevman

January 31, 2013
2:05 am
frank
usa
Members
Forum Posts: 417

Chevman--

You got cold A/C in that list of options somewhere?  I didn't see it, and it's highly recommended in August.  

If you have plenty of time, after Santa Monica you could sightsee through LA and overnight at the Wigwam Motel on the Rialto-San Bernardino line. Then comes the long desert stretch through Barstow, Amboy, Goffs etc., and a night in Needles CA.  After crossing into Topock AZ, you get on the Oatman Road segment, and overnight in Kingman AZ.  

From Kingman, it's a 2-hour straight shot on US 93 toward Vegas.  You will go over a new bridge next to Hoover Dam--both are impressive and worth stopping for.  

Too bad you can't do the entire 66 trip.  

January 31, 2013
6:50 am
57chevman
Members

thanks for all the info I appreciate we just working out all the details So can you drive on route 66 from la to san bernadino

January 31, 2013
12:41 pm
DynoDave
Members
Forum Posts: 69

Sounds like a sweet car, and you are certainly on the right track toning the drive-train down a touch before the trip. Nothing to ad about your trip, except to say I hope you guys have a great time.

Long term, I hope to take my Chrysler across Route 66. Seems like a great way to spend some time with loved ones, and with your car.

January 31, 2013
2:23 pm
frank
usa
Members

Chevman--

The historic route is still in use through LA under different names.

From the Santa Monica Pier you get on Santa Monica Blvd heading basically east to near downtown LA.

Then Sunset Blvd to the 110 Freeway (Arroyo Seco Pkwy) to the city of Pasadena.

In Pasadena: Colorado Blvd to Foothill Blvd which will take you into the city of San Bernardino.

In San Bernardino: Cajon Blvd heading North until you are forced onto I-15.

You get off I-15 at Palmdale Road in Victorville and continue on 66 (known as National Old Trails Hwy) from there. 

This routing goes through areas of the LA sprawl that range from okay to nice to REALLY nice (think Beverly Hills) so there's lots to see. 

February 16, 2013
3:26 pm
57chevman
Members

Hello Everyone;

I just have a question about the upcoming trip in august. I have a garmin nuvi gps with 4.3' screen. what I am wondering is if there is a way to install the route 66 info into the gps so when I'm driving I don't get lost trying to keep on the mother road.

Any help would be appreciated

57 chevman

February 16, 2013
4:02 pm
frank
usa
Members

57chevman--

Others may have the gps info.  You won't really need it for the distance you're going on Rt 66.  

Beside routing from the Jan 31st posting (above), National Old Trails Hwy will take you past Essex CA in the desert. Then you take Goffs Road to I-40 just before Needles.  Exit into Needles, then back onto I-40 into AZ.  

Just across the line in AZ, use Exit 1 for the Oatman Highway (or Oatman Road) toward the mountain town of Oatman. Continue on this to I-40 Exit 44 in AZ.  Go East four-miles to Exit 48 and pick up US 93--a straight shot toward Hoover Dam and Las Vegas.  

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 111
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
frank: 417
Wotacroc: 265
WillC: 244
wanted33: 149
David Asher: 82
DynoDave: 69
jorgear: 60
thepengy: 41
Maureen: 35
SharonT9084: 34
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 0
Members: 1547
Moderators: 0
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 1
Topics: 572
Newest Members:
rob@kirkpatrick.net, kevingreen, ajvplus3, nealpooler@gmail.com, WilliamBurns, Msmelissa6881, Msmelissa1331, scastronova, HazeAshleigh, AndreyMops
Administrators: Steve Bellamy: 208
crossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram