What data we collect
The personal data we collect from you includes:
- questions, queries or feedback you leave, including your email address if you contact DRIVINGROUTE66.COM
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address, and details of which version of web browser you used
- information on how you use the site, using cookies and page tagging techniques
We use Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use DRIVINGROUTE66.COM. This includes IP addresses. The data is anonymised before being used for analytics processing.
Google Analytics processes anonymised information about:
- the pages you visit on DRIVINGROUTE66.COM
- how long you spend on each DRIVINGROUTE66.COM page
- how you got to the site
- what you click on while you’re visiting the site
We do not store your personal information through Google Analytics (for example your name or address).
We will not identify you through analytics information, and we will not combine analytics information with other data sets in a way that would identify who you are.
We continuously test and monitor our data protection controls to make sure they’re effective and to detect any weaknesses.
Why we need your data
We collect information through Google Analytics to see how you use the site. We do this to help:
- make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users
- make improvements
We also collect data in order to:
- gather feedback to improve our services, for example our email alerts
- respond to any feedback you send us, if you’ve asked us to
- provide you with information about local services
- monitor use of the site to identify security threats
Our legal basis for processing your data
The legal basis for processing personal data in relation to site security is our legitimate interests, and the legitimate interests of our users, in ensuring the security and integrity of DRIVINGROUTE66.COM.
The legal basis for processing anonymised data for Google Analytics is your consent.
The legal basis for processing all other personal data is that it’s necessary:
- to perform a task in the public interest
- in the exercise of our functions as a government department
What we do with your data
The data we collect may be shared with other government departments, agencies and public bodies. It may also be shared with our technology suppliers, for example our hosting provider.
We will not:
- sell or rent your data to third parties
- share your data with third parties for marketing purposes
- use your data in analytics
We will share your data if we are required to do so by law - for example, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crime.
How long we keep your data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as:
- it is needed for the purposes set out in this document
- the law requires us to
We will keep your email data until you unsubscribe. We will hold analytics data for up to 26 months.
Children’s privacy protection
Our services are not designed for, or intentionally targeted at, children 13 years of age or younger. We do not intentionally collect or maintain data about anyone under the age of 13.
Where your data is processed and stored
We design, build and run our systems to make sure that your data is as safe as possible at all stages, both while it’s processed and when it’s stored.
All personal data is stored in the European Economic Area (EEA). Data collected by Google Analytics data may be transferred outside the EEA for processing.
How we protect your data and keep it secure
We are committed to doing all that we can to keep your data secure. We have set up systems and processes to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure of your data - for example, we protect your data using varying levels of encryption.
We also make sure that any third parties that we deal with keep all personal data they process on our behalf secure.
You have the right to request:
- information about how your personal data is processed
- a copy of that personal data
- that anything inaccurate in your personal data is corrected immediately
You can also:
- raise an objection about how your personal data is processed
- request that your personal data is erased if there is no longer a justification for it
- ask that the processing of your personal data is restricted in certain circumstances
If you have any of these requests, get in contact with the Insights Team.
Links to other websites
DRIVINGROUTE66.COM contains links to other websites.
This privacy notice only applies to DRIVINGROUTE66.COM, and does not cover other services and transactions that we link to. These services have their own terms and conditions and privacy policies.
Following a link to another website
Following a link to DRIVINGROUTE66.COM from another website
Contact us or make a complaint
Contact the Driving Route 66 Team if you:
- have a question about anything in this privacy notice
- think that your personal data has been misused or mishandled
Driving Route 66 Team
You can also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner, who is an independent regulator.
Information Commissioner's Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Changes to this policy
If these changes affect how your personal data is processed, we will take reasonable steps to let you know.