Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Newbee - Starting to plan for Sept 2018
No permission to create posts
February 1, 2017
8:43 pm
charly88
Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi All,

I am new to this site, sorry if I am about to ask the same questions that may be in other posts.

Myself & My husband are wanting to do route 66 around September 2018 for 14/16 days (Yep I am an eager beaver). It's to celebrate my 30th birthday and our decade anniversary that year.
We are from the UK and have decided to do the route West to East, we have searched for flights for this September and found them to be cheaper from Manchester UK to L.A then Chicago to Manchester UK. (Obviously prices may be different for 2018 but unfortunately it does not allow us to search for flights that far a head.)
We want to do the route from W-E mainly because we want to visit a lot of places in California and also spend some time in Vegas as well as Grand Canyon so feel it would be best to do the things that we want to see and do first and then enjoy the road trip taking our time.

I have just ordered the EZ66 4th edition book, looking forward to reading and having that to help plan. I do have some questions that I would really appreciate some help with;

1) Does the EZ66 show where fuel stations are?
2) Is it difficult to navigate through big Cities like L.A & Chicago?
3) Would you advise booking accommodation before the trip or wing it and see what is available? We do have 2 we will definitely be booking Blue Swallow Motel & Wigwam Motel.
4) Is 14/16 days sufficient enough for the trip? myself and husband aren't huge fans of museums we will happily visit a few but we are wanting to do route 66 for the experience of it rather than the history beyond it (of course I find the history interesting and definitely would like to see ghosts towns and unique places but it's more for the experience than anything else).

I am sure as time goes on I will have plenty more questions. I appreciate your help.

Kind Regards
Charlene & Andy 🙂

February 4, 2017
5:54 pm
natthecat
Members
Forum Posts: 15

Hiya, we are doing West to East too, just got our EZ66. When you start looking into it, using the guide and Google maps you'll find gas stations easy. There are tips where to fill your tank etc.
We are avoiding downtown LA, and going to Vegas via PalmerDale as you can check out the Vasquez Rocks on the way. Then picking up route 66 after Vegas.
We're booking a few and winging the rest.
I'm worried about driving in big cities too, but I figure it will be similar to driving in London. The traffic will be so slow you'll have plenty of time to find your way.
If it's not already on your itinerary, look at the valley of fire near Vegas, it's beautiful.

March 21, 2017
6:25 pm
jojetaylor
Members
Forum Posts: 2

HI,
We are looking to go around the same time as yourselves.
Are you planning to go up to san fran at all?
I can only seem to find stop over flights to san fran, not direct. I assume you are looking at flying into LAX?

April 6, 2017
9:37 pm
Steve Bellamy
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Admin
Forum Posts: 212

Hi Charlene and Andy,
Welcome to the forum. Well done on picking up the EZ66 Guide too - it's brilliant when you're on the road. Let me try and answer some of those questions...

1) Does the EZ66 show where fuel stations are?

No it doesn't but I didn't find it a problem finding fuel along the route. I can't remember how low I let the tank go but once you're outside built up areas if you try to always keep the tank over a third full you'll be fine.

2) Is it difficult to navigate through big Cities like L.A & Chicago?

It's really not. You'll quickly get the hang of it. If one of you drives and the other has the EZ66 Guide you'll be okay. I always spent each evening skimming through the guide just to be a bit familiar with the route too.

3) Would you advise booking accommodation before the trip or wing it and see what is available? We do have 2 we will definitely be booking Blue Swallow Motel & Wigwam Motel.

Funnily enough, we also booked the Blue Swallow and Wigwam in advance too. We also made sure we had a night in the Big Texan. Other than that we winged it. As long as we knew that every few days we had to have reached a certain point, that worked for us.

4) Is 14/16 days sufficient enough for the trip? myself and husband aren't huge fans of museums we will happily visit a few but we are wanting to do route 66 for the experience of it rather than the history beyond it (of course I find the history interesting and definitely would like to see ghosts towns and unique places but it's more for the experience than anything else).

I did the whole route in 2 weeks including overnight stops at the Grand Canyon and Vegas. You can have a great trip in 14/16 days. I'm not a museum fan either but there's so much more to it than that. You'll have a great time.

Steve

Drove Route 66 in August 2007 - hope to do it again one day in the not too distant future.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 111

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

frank: 410

Wotacroc: 265

WillC: 244

wanted33: 149

David Asher: 82

DynoDave: 69

jorgear: 54

thepengy: 41

Maureen: 36

SharonT9084: 34

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 4551

Moderators: 0

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 1

Topics: 550

Newest Members:

margotbueche339, chtwhite, thaliamudie7467, adriene79h, phillipp39n, lesleylqv2, olliedellit142, Dariohip, lightroomRot, Coraliusan

Administrators: Steve Bellamy: 212

Twitter

5 Tips to Keep Comfortable When Driving Route 66 drivingroute66.com/5-tips-to-… #route66

About Driving Route 66

What started as a record of my personal Route 66 experience has grown into an active community of Route 66 veterans and newcomers alike. This website relies entirely on the experiences of its users so please feel free to recommend your own personal favourites.

Every Route 66 road trip is unique, and this site is in no way intended to be a definitive guide to the old road. However, I sincerely hope it offers a starting point to anyone planning their own Route 66 vacation.

Steve Bellamy

Subscribe to our Mailing List

Copyright © 2019 Driving Route 66 | Contact
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram